At approximately 3:17 a.m. on Sunday, July 11 Seattle police and fire departments responded to a 911 call reporting smoke coming from the alley in the 600 block of 1st Ave W in Lower Queen Anne. According to the SPD Blotter, officers found that the cause of the smoke was a mattress that had been set on fire in a dumpster outside the back door of an apartment complex. The fire damaged three dumpsters and a railing at the apartment building. There are no current suspects, though arson detectives are investigating the incident.
July 12th, 2010 by Thea
December 7th, 2009 by Thea
When I got home tonight I was surprised to see four firefighters running around the side and behind the building I live in. As I made my way to the back entrance I saw why. One of the dumpsters behind my building was on fire. Well, not just on fire – ablaze.
I was worried that the flames, which from what I could see went as high as a few feet above the top of the dumpster, would reach the tree branches above. The good news is the firefighters were able to put the fire out almost immediately and no one was hurt. My photos of the flames didn’t turn out as it’s so dark outside, but I did snap a picture of the wreckage. The dumpster on the right was totally destroyed, and the wall to the left, where it usually rests, received some relatively minimal damage. Luckily.
As I witnessed tonight, fires can start extremely fast, and if not found immediately, can spread. No one knows exactly how the fire started, though several in the building suspect a still-lit cigarette was tossed in accidentally. Still, if a few residents hadn’t noticed the flames – one of my neighbors opened her curtains to see fire the entire length of her window – this fire could have easily spread. So, neighbors, please be cautious this winter. Here on Queen Anne we have lots of trees, and very old electrical systems (being the oldest neighborhood in the city and all). Stock up on space heaters and candles, but remember not to leave them unattended, and make sure your holiday decorations are fire safe.
September 22nd, 2009 by Thea
There were a string of trash bin fires reported in Lower Queen Anne over the weekend, the last of which was in a dumpster behind the Viking Apartments (located at 715 2nd Av W) at 3:08 a.m. early Sunday, the second in a month.
KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported that Seattle fire investigators informed them that Sunday’s dumpster fire is believed to be arson, but so far there are no suspects or witnesses.
Trash fires seem to be a trend lately – a few weeks ago in Ballard a man was caught on a security camera torching a dumpster in the Zesto’s parking lot.
If you have seen a torched trash been lying around, notify investigators or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, as they may be connected.