Aurora Ave N/SR 99 will be closed starting this Friday night, August 22nd, and running through Wednesday morning, August 27th. There’s a Seahawks preseason game on Friday night; WSDOT will keep 99 around CenturyLink open until midnight Friday, Aug. 22, for game traffic.
Here’s the information you need to know from WSDOT:
In late August, crews building the future north portal of the SR 99 tunnel will close SR 99/Aurora Avenue North near South Lake Union for four days. During this closure, crews will demolish and replace the section of SR 99 that crosses above Broad Street.
To minimize the need for additional closures, separate crews will complete the following work elsewhere along the SR 99 corridor during this time:
- Utility work at Harrison Street
- Concrete panel replacement in SODO
- Expansion joint repairs on the Alaskan Way Viaduct near the Seneca Street off-ramp
- Ivy removal from the viaduct
- From 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the West Seattle Bridge to Valley Street.
- Northbound SR 99 will be open from South Royal Brougham Way until midnight on Friday, Aug. 22 for exiting Seahawks traffic.
- From 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25 to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the south end of the Battery Street tunnel to Valley Street.
Know before you go and have a backup plan
Those who must drive are encouraged to stay engaged and check traffic conditions frequently via WSDOT’s web, mobile and phone-based traveler information systems.
- The Seattle traffic page contains updated road information including links to traffic cameras.
- The travel alerts website provides real-time information about blocking incidents.
- WSDOT’s mobile app offers information for travelers on the go.
- @wsdot_traffic provides Twitter updates about travel issues.
- 5-1-1 offers traffic updates.
- The What’s Happening Now page chronicles closures and issues affecting travelers.