Mercer Alert: Broad Street permanently closes, Mercer expands two-way coverage
Posted on May 30th, 2014 by Sara Willy
Heads up, there are more changes to the roadways beginning this weekend. Starting Sunday evening (June 1), Broad St will be permanently closed to traffic between 5th Ave N and 9 Ave N. Plus, Mercer becomes two-way between 5th Ave N and 9th Ave N, and this weekend also brings a closure to the intersection of Queen Anne Ave N and Roy St.
SDOT warns that the closure will “create significant traffic disruptions along the Mercer Corridor. Motorists are advised to use alternate routes and expect lengthy travel delays due to the Broad Street closure and drivers adjusting to two-way operations on Mercer Street.”
Here are the details from SDOT:
Broad Street permanently closing
- Beginning the evening of Sunday, June 1, Broad Street will permanently close to traffic between 9th Ave N and 5th Ave N
- The permanent closure of Broad Street is necessary to allow for additional construction associated with the Mercer Corridor Project and WSDOT’s Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Project
New traffic patterns begin Monday, June 2
Beginning Monday morning, June 2:
- Mercer Street will have two lanes in each direction between Queen Anne Ave N and 9th Ave N
- Access to Seattle Center and Queen Anne will be a direct route via westbound Mercer from I-5
- Roy St will have one lane in each direction between Queen Anne Ave N and 5th Ave N
- Queen Anne Ave N will have one northbound lane and two southbound lanes between Roy and Mercer Streets
- Left turns from westbound Mercer onto southbound 5th Ave N will be available
- Left turns from eastbound Mercer onto northbound Dexter Ave N will not be allowed for approximately one year
- Access to northbound SR 99 from eastbound Mercer will be via southbound Dexter Ave N onto westbound Thomas St
Closure of northbound Queen Anne Avenue N at Roy Street: May 31 – June 1
Beginning Saturday, May 31 at 4am through Sunday, June 1 at 5am, access to northbound Queen Anne Ave N will be fully closed to traffic from Roy St to accommodate roadway striping and final two-way signal conversion. During the closure:
- Access to northbound Queen Anne Ave N will be closed to traffic at Roy St
- Travelers heading north from westbound Roy will be detoured onto southbound Queen Anne Ave N and then right onto Mercer to proceed north on 2nd Ave W
- Travelers from Downtown should use 1st Ave N to westbound Mercer St and 2nd Ave W or 5th Ave N and Taylor Ave N to access Queen Anne
- Southbound Queen Anne Ave N will be reduced to two lanes between Roy and Mercer streets
- Access to Queen Anne Ave N from eastbound Roy will be closed. Turns onto westbound Roy from southbound Queen Anne Ave N will not be allowed.
Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue N and Ninth Avenue N converting to two-way traffic June 1 – 2:
- On Sunday, June 1 at 1pm following the Race for the Cure, crews will begin converting the final section of Mercer to two-way traffic between 5th Ave N and N and permanently closing Broad St. During the conversion:
- Mercer will be fully closed to traffic between 5th Ave N and 9th Ave N. As intersections are converted to two-way traffic, roadways will be re-opened.
- Denny Way and First Avenue N will remain fully open.