Viaduct closed this weekend for semi-annual inspection – and it’s sinking
This weekend brings a new traffic impact for your awareness and planning. It’s time for the semi-annual Alaksan Way Viaduct inspection, which will close 99 and the Viaduct between Valley St and South Spokane St.
The details are below, the net recommendation is to avoid travel requiring Aurora/99/Viaduct routes.
Friday, Feb. 28 – Sunday, March 2
- Both directions of SR 99 will be closed between Valley Street and the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel from 10 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday.
- Both directions of SR 99 will be closed between Valley Street and South Spokane Street from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Both directions of SR 99 will be closed between Valley Street and the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel from 6 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday.
- Both directions of SR 99 will be closed between North 48th Street and South Spokane Street from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. Sunday.
- Both directions of SR 99 will be closed between Denny Way and South Spokane Street from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
On a separate, but notable point, Monday’s Seattle City Council meeting included a briefing from WSDOT on the settling of the Viaduct due to work on the replacement tunnel. To date, the Viaduct has settled up to 4/10 of an inch as a result of the construction work.
Per Q13, “Council members say if the viaduct continues to settle it may need to be shut down, and it’s time to start thinking about a contingency plan.” The article also quotes Councilmember Mike O’Brien:
“We’re clearly in a phase where this is unanticipated what is going on, and I think the fear is that everyone knows exactly what we’ve agreed to is safe. And we’re very clear if something happens, there’s going to be a lot of contractor activities happening in that area coming up, and if all we have is 6/10 of an inch on to move with on the viaduct before it gets tagged and it gets shut down we need to start planning on that.”
Stay tuned – there’s just a little over half an inch of wiggle room to keep the Viaduct open during construction (and Bertha is stalled).