Mercer Alert: Eastbound Mercer traffic shift begins Thursday; full closure this weekend
As part of the continuing work on the Mercer corridor, SDOT will be shifting Mercer traffic to one lane between 5th Ave N and Dexter Ave N tomorrow, Thursday, February 6th. This shift will be in place for “approximately four months” – after which Mercer will be opened to two-way traffic.
Plus, this weekend there’s a planned full closure of Mercer Street and 5th Ave N, from Saturday, February 8th through Monday, February 10th.
Here are the details from SDOT on the traffic shift:
- The morning of Thursday, February 6, traffic on eastbound Mercer Street between 5th Ave N and Dexter Ave N will be shifted one lane north in order to facilitate construction activities on the south side of the roadway
- Two eastbound lanes will be maintained on Mercer Street through the work zone
- Pedestrians and bicyclists will be shifted from the south side of Mercer Street to a temporary asphalt path on the north side of Mercer between 5th Ave N and Dexter Ave N
- No pedestrian access will be allowed on the south side of Mercer Street
Information information on pedestrian and bicycle access during construction is available online.
And, here’s the information on the full weekend closure:
- Closure in effect from 4am Saturday, February 8 through 5am Monday, February 10
- Eastbound Mercer between 5th Ave N and 9th Ave N, and southbound 5th Ave N between Roy and Mercer streets will be fully closed to traffic for demolition of the old SR 99 bridge footings and utility work beneath the roadway
- The sidewalk on Mercer Street will also be closed between 5th Ave and Dexter Ave N – pedestrians will be detoured to Broad Street
- Mercer Street between Broad Street and I-5, Broad Street, Dexter Ave N, SR 99/Aurora and the I-5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street will remain open during the weekend work