Plan ahead for Mercer and Aurora closures this weekend and next
Posted on December 5th, 2013 by Editor
As part of the ongoing Mercer Corridor Project, there is a full weekend closure of Aurora/99 and eastbound Mercer Street beginning tomorrow, Friday, December 6 at 11:59 pm through 5am Monday, December 9.
The closures are necessary for the completion of Mercer Street widening and SR 99 bridge replacement work, all in preparation for the Bored Tunnel North Portal in June 2014.
Per SDOT: please note that work is weather dependent and may be cancelled and rescheduled for later dates if inclement weather occurs. (so far, it looks like it’ll just be cold)
SDOT details on this weekend’s closure:
- SR 99 will be fully closed to traffic between Valley Street and the southern end of the Battery Street Tunnel. Traffic traveling through Seattle via SR 99 will be directed to I-5 in northern Seattle at 85th Street or in southern Seattle at E Marginal Way and Spokane Street. More information about alternate routes during construction may be found online
- Eastbound Mercer Street will be fully closed to traffic between Fifth Avenue N and Dexter Avenue N. Traffic heading east toward I-5 from Queen Anne will be detoured to eastbound Broad Street via Harrison Street and will reconnect to Mercer Street at Ninth Avenue N to continue towards the I-5 ramps at Mercer Street.
- The sidewalk on Mercer Street will also be closed between Fifth Avenue N and Dexter Avenue N. Pedestrians will be detoured to Broad Street.
- Broad Street and the I-5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street and westbound Mercer Street will remain open during the weekend work.
- Access to Seattle Center from I-5 via westbound Mercer and Broad streets and from southbound SR 99 at Valley Street will be open through the weekend.