We’ve written about Picture Perfect Queen Anne (PPQA) before, but as a quick refresher: they’re the community group that helps keep up the plantings along Queen Anne Ave N between Galer and McGraw. PPQA is an all-volunteer alliance with the goal of a pedestrian-friendly, safe, vibrant main street that everyone can enjoy.
The Queen Anne-Magnolia Neighborhood District Council and SDOT selected the Galer Stairs project for revitalization via the Department of Neighborhood’s Neighborhood Projects Fund – and the following work will take place over the next couple of months:
- install ADA approved metal handrails
- replace the rusting, broken chain-link and wooden fencing on the landing levels with formed concrete so that the concrete banisters will be uniform up and down the staircase
- replace crumbling erosion-control retaining walls
- remove invasive plants on both sides of the stairs–from behind the stonewalls on QA Ave up to the first landing
- landscape the cleared areas with drought tolerant plants including the wisteria on the south side
- remove vegetation obliterating the light standard at the top of the staircase
You can help PPQA keep Queen Anne Ave N beautiful by donating via its web site. An individual can contribute as little as $5 per month or a one-time gift of your choice.