What you need to know about Mercer come Monday
Posted on April 20th, 2013 by Sara Willy
It’s almost here – the Mercer West Phase begins Monday, April 22nd, and here’s the roundup of what you need to know about traffic, lane restrictions, and Metro routes during this phase of construction. Some of these impacts are short-term, but some will last the duration of the Mercer West Phase through the summer of 2015.
Per SDOT: “Travelers can expect significant traffic and delays and should plan ahead and use alternate routes when possible.”
Lane Restrictions – SR 99/Aurora
Starting Monday, April 22, following the morning commute, crews will begin reducing SR 99 to two lanes in each direction between Aloha and Harrison streets to accommodate rebuilding the SR99/Aurora overpass as part of the Mercer West Phase.
These lane restrictions will remain in effect throughout the West Phase of the Mercer Corridor Project (estimated completion: Summer 2015):
- Southbound SR 99 curb lane restricted between Aloha and Harrison
- Northbound SR 99 curb lane restricted between the Mercer Street exit and Roy St
- SR 99 sidewalks: west side sidewalk will be closed between Thomas St and Roy St and the east side sidewalk will be closed between Republican St and Roy St
Broad Street and 5th Ave N
- Broad Street off-ramp from southbound SR 99 will be closed from Monday, April 22 through the duration of Mercer West construction (summer 2015)
- Westbound Broad Street will be reduced to a single lane just south of Harrison Street beginning Monday, April 22 for approximately 3 weeks during the hours of 9am-4pm.
- Left lane restrictions on both northbound and southbound 5th Ave N between Republican and Harrison during the weekends of April 27-28 and May 4-5
- Metro bus stops on northbound Aurora at Thomas St and Mercer St, and southbound on Aurora at Mercer St will be closed from Monday, April 22 through the duration of Mercer West construction (summer 2015)
- Routes 5, 26 Ex, 28 Ex or 358 – Northbound on Aurora just south of Denny Way
- Route 16 – Northbound on 5th Av N just north of Republican St
- All routes – North of Mercer, northbound on Aurora just north of Prospect St
- During the above closures, board or exit southbound routes 5, 26 Express, 28 Express or 358 to downtown Seattle at one of these posted bus stops:
- North of Mercer, southbound on Aurora just south of Prospect St
- South of Mercer, southbound on Aurora just north of Denny Way
- Routes 5, 26 Ex, 28 Ex and 358 will remain on regular route
- Northbound 16 will be rerouted via Dexter Av N and Valley St to Aurora. Heading toward downtown route 16 will follow its regular route