Earlier this week, we had a reader tip us to two recent muggings near Kerry Park, but apparently neither were reported to SPD (not on the SPD incident or report maps). However, now a mugging has been reported to SPD, and it sounds like the crimes may be related, as all were committed by groups of young males.
First up, the reported crime – according to an SPD report, at 2:35am on November 26th a man was mugged by four white males between the ages of 15 and 20 years old, all wearing dark, baggy clothing. The crime happened at Queen Anne Ave N and Lee Street when the victim was walking up the hill on the west side of the street. The suspects were walking in the opposite direction, asked for a cigarette, and then jumped the victim and began punching him. They took his cell phone and wallet, and have not been located or identified.
This brings us to the non-reported incidents, which sound very similar. A resident reported that a friend’s Facebook post described two separate friends being jumped, beaten, and mugged near Kerry Park and Queen Anne Ave; both people were attacked by a “group of guys.” And, via Reddit, someone posted about an “assault and robbery by a group of teenagers” near 2nd and Comstock. (note: no clarification on 2nd W or 2nd N – most likely 2nd W)
So, heads up to be aware of your surroundings and, if you are the victim of a crime, report it to SPD.
Reminder: report all crimes to SPD – the only way SPD will know if there’s a string of seemingly related crimes is to report them. Reporting crimes, even minor ones, alerts SPD to criminal activity in our neighborhood.
Here’s additional guidance from SPD:
If the crime is still in progress or it is an emergency situation, call 911 immediately.
Call 911 when:
- When you have a Police, Fire or Medical emergency.
- There is a situation that could, or does, pose a danger to life, property or both.
- There is a suspicious activity involving a person(s) or vehicle that appears to have criminal intent.
- Any situation that requires immediate dispatch of an officer.
Call the non-emergency number 206.625.5011 when:
- You want to report a nuisance, such as a noise or parking complaint.
- To report a non-emergency crime – one that did not just occur, and the suspects are not in the immediate area.
- You have questions about something suspicious occurring in your neighborhood, and you are not sure it is criminal activity.