Every year Food & Wine names America’s ten “most brilliant up-and-coming chefs” by asking readers to vote for their favorites.
The contestants for this The People’s Best New Chef 2011 include two new chefs from right here in Queen Anne, Jason Franey from Canlis and Shaun McCrain from Book Bindery. Here’s some of what Food & Wine had to say about the two:
- Why he’s amazing: Because he has somehow kept his restrained and subtle style of cooking while maintaining Canlis’s famed lavishness.
- Best known for: Introducing avant-garde flourishes to a venerable 60-year-old institution in Seattle.
- Must-try dish: “Of Earth & Ocean”—a classic Canlis dish of avocado, prawn and mango updated with braised octopus, lobster knuckle and Hawaiian seaweed.
- Why he’s amazing: Because his illustrious training and limitless imagination produce food that’s polished and exhilarating.
- Must-try dish: Hamachi with house-made chile rice crisps, gelled dashi and avocado.