Update: Fire department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick said the fire was caused by a bed that was pushed too close to a heater, causing damage estimated at $70,000 to $90,000 to the complex structure, and $20,000 to the unit. Thanks to PI police blogger Casey McNerthney.
According to firefighters on the scene, the fire originated in a single unit and was primarily contained to one room. The occupant of that unit, who was out at the time, returned after the fire department had arrived to find her bedroom had taken most of the damage. The occupant reported that she had not left the stove on, candles lit, or any other potentially hazardous materials unattended.
Although firefighters have not yet determined what caused the fire, they did verify that no one was hurt in the incident and that the scene is under control.