I live on Ward and Taylor, and my car window was broken and a GPS stolen on Monday night. Two of my neighbors were broken into too.
Here are a few tips on how to protect yourself from car break-ins taken fro ehow.com:
- Park your car in an area that is well-lit and near lots of people.
- Keep the windows rolled up and the car locked, even if it’s parked at your own house.
- Keep valuables in your car hidden. Consider buying a removable stereo face to keep in your trunk or carry with you.
- Consider buying a visible mechanical locking device to lock the steering wheel, and/or an auto theft alarm system.
- Keep your car registration and insurance card with you instead of in the glove compartment so that thieves cannot produce these documents if stopped by police.
The MagnoliaVoice reported on a Block Watch meeting held by SPD in Magnolia and the rise in the number of car prowls. They stressed that neighbors sharing information can be a good tool to fight car prowls. You can call Terrie Johnston at 684-4741 if you want to schedule a Block Watch meeting for your neighborhood.